Wednesday 31 August 2011

Devil.May.Care - Jolene Ballard Gutierrez

Devil.May.CareDevil.May.Care by Jolene Ballard Gutierrez

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

At sixteen, Ana not only discovers she's an angelic spirit in human form, but falls in love with a demon, Dylan. As demons are supposed to be the bad guys, this doesn't seem to be a good idea. However, Ana soon discovers good and evil are very much in the eye of the beholder.

I found this a disappointing read. Partly from the unbelievable plot and annoying characters; partly, due to the author's lack of care. If I'm told the heroine has a baby sister, I don't expect her to proclaim herself an only child the first time her boyfriend meets her parents. I also wasn't fond of the author's love affair with adverbs.

I think this was supposed to be a book aimed at young adults, but, except for some of the content, it seemed a bit young for that age group. Obviously, the content I speak of put it above middle grade, so I'm not sure who I can recommend it to.

The heroine, Ana, struck me as a naïve and, at times, downright stupid girl, who was also a very bad friend - wanting Cheyenne only when she needed Chey to do something for her. The reasoning behind everyone thinking her special passed me by. She was as quick to believe in Dylan as she was to believe everything against him - no proof required. No logical thinking expended.

I might have liked Dylan if he hadn't spent most of the book making overly suggestive comments for no particular purpose.

I could have done without the religious references. The author didn't seem to be trying to convert anyone to a particular religion, but I still felt God was being stuffed down my throat more than I would like.

The plot was decent, with hints added at the beginning until the climax of the end, but the end itself felt as though the author had forgotten to add the final few words.

What did I like? The beginning. The beginning was what got me to read the book in the first place. I like how it got straight into things and immediately intrigued me. I liked the voice of the heroine. Unfortunate that the heroine herself didn't endear herself to me. I liked the pacing. So, yes, good beginning. Shame about the rest of the book.



Amazon: (UK) (US)

2 comments:

Golden Eagle said...

I'm sorry to hear you found it disappointing! I've come across books like that--strong beginning, good voice, but just downhill from there.

C D Meetens said...

I think I have a thing for them! The number of books I've read with a promising beginning that don't live up to that promise in the beginning... Never mind! Plenty of other books in the library ;).

Post a Comment