Wednesday 14 September 2011

Star Book – Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Genre: Classic Literature

Plot Summary: Jane Eyre is a mistreated orphan who learns to survive by relying on her independence and intelligence. Her first job in the outside world is governess to the ward of Mr. Rochester, a man of mercurial moods. The tentative trust between them slowly develops into romance, but their hopes for happiness will soon be jeopardised by a terrible secret.

Buy Online: Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.com


I don't know how old I was when I first read "Jane Eyre".

I stumbled across the black and white Orson Welles / Joan Fontaine film version on channel four one day in the late eighties, and became hooked. After discovering what it was, I went in search of the book.

I love Jane's character. How she remains feisty and passionate, despite her harsh start in life. Mr Rochester is on just the right side of violence. There's that hint of danger, but he's never taken it far enough to hurt anyone.

The tale twists and turns, building on Jane's connection with Rochester, until the big reveal brings with it one of the most stunning surprises in literature at its time.

Somehow, despite my multiple reads of it, the story never gets old. I enjoy the older language, the characters, the plot, and I always find myself holding my breath at the end, even though I know what happens.

2 comments:

Golden Eagle said...

I've never read Jane Eyre, though I do want to read it sometime. I've heard a lot of good things about it. :)

C D Meetens said...

I just think it's a lovely romance with a thriller element, and two strong characters. I also get lost in the language - "upbraid with vehemence". I learnt a lot of new words when I first read this book :).

Post a Comment